Top Ways to Stay on Track During the Holidays

It’s so easy to “fall off the wagon” during the holidays. There are so many temptations, so much yummy food, so many fun opportunities…

So, how can we stay on track and still have fun and enjoy ourselves?

First, I might invite for us (me included) to change our perspective about “falling off the wagon.” It doesn’t have to be all or nothing. I don’t have to commit to avoid sweets 100% of the time and neither do you. What if we allowed ourselves to eat whatever we wanted 20% of the time? And then the other 80% we did our best to “stay on the wagon?” What would that feel like?

Let me break this down for you. If you ate as healthy as you can 80% of the time that means 17 of your meals a week would be “on the wagon.” Then, 4 of your meals each week you could eat whatever you wanted. And that’s not necessarily “off the wagon,” but rather chosen indulgences.

How does that feel?

For me, I like that a whole lot better than beating myself up for having pie 3 times in one day (maybe those are three of my four indulgences)!

God didn’t design us to be deprived all the time! He did design us to have self-control however. Choose and enjoy those indulgences!

So, here are a few tips to help you stay on track with this 80/20 lifestyle:

  1. Make a plan! This may be the most important tip ever! Benjamin Franklin said,

“If you fail to plan you are planning to fail.”

So, make a plan of what meals will be your indulgences and which ones you’re going to choose healthier options.

2. Get enough sleep. When we’re tired we are less able to follow through with good intentions. We just run through the nearest drive through or takeout because we’re too exhausted to cook. (Sound familiar, anyone? I know I’m guilty!)

3. Exercise. It’s a kind of fuel for your body. Plus, it will keep you focused and motivated to keep fueling your body with nourishing foods. Nobody wants to undo the hard work we’ve already done.

4. Take some time for yourself. When we allow ourselves time to rest, relax, and be rejuvenated then we will feel better and we’ll be more able to show up as our best self (and be able to resist the pie if that’s not an indulgence we chose).

5. Contribute to family and friend gatherings. Or, volunteer to be the host! Make or take a healthy dish or two to share with everyone. That way you’ll be able to control at least something that you’re eating.

I’d love to hear what you think about this perspective change and these tips! Comment below and let me know your thoughts and if there’s something you would add!

Leave a Reply